This is an interesting proposal, that was sent my way by Robert Hill who runs the Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800-1950 Leonard Meanwell was active as an architect in Winnipeg, Manitoba from 1916 to 1924, before moving to Windsor in 1925. He worked in Windsor through 1940, when he joined Giffels & Vallet in Detroit, where he worked until he passed away in 1950. He teamed up with fellow parishioner Ernest Wilby, who had worked for many years with Albert Kahn to design this church that was to front Ouellette Avenue. The church hall was previously built (designed by J. C. Pennington) and was being used for church services, with the plan to build the above church and turn the hall, back into a hall. The church was never built, and services remained in the hall until the church closed. It was converted to office use, and is today home to Strosberg Sasso Sutts law office, who built a large addition on the property planned for the church shown above.
From the Windsor Daily Star – October 7, 1942
Windsor is to have a new Anglican church as soon after the war as the government will permit materials for construction to be released. It will be known as St. Paul’s Memorial Anglican Church and will be situated on the west side of Ouellette avenue between Hanna and Shepherd.
Pictured above is the architects’ conception of the completed structure. A campaign to raise funds has already started.
All money will be immediately invested in Victory Bonds or War Savings Certificates until such time as it can be used for building purposes. Mr. L. W. Meanwell and Professor Ernest Wilby, formerly professor of architecture at the University of Michigan, are the architects for the building.
The church will have a brick exterior. The word “Memorial” in the name is intended to convey the thought that this church will be a monument to the men of Windsor and district who are willing to lay down their lives in this war for home and family and for freedom, as well as a monument to all those who have served the church in this community and whose families may desire to thus perpetuate their names. No cost has been announced for the building since no bids from contractors will be sought until after the war. The entire Anglican community is invited to participate in the building fund and any others interested.