Built in 1925 and opened as the Border Cities Arena, the building was home to the NHL’s Detroit Cougars for their inaugural season of 1926-1927. The Cougars moved into The Olympia for their second season, and were renamed the Detroit Red Wings. The building was nicknamed “The Barn” due the large steel trusses giving the building a barn like appearance from the exterior. The arena was a large brick building, but was unfortunately reclad with stucco detracting from the historical exterior appearance. The WFCU Centre built in the city’s east end opened in 2009 and the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires played their final game in the Barn on December 4, 2008. The University of Windsor Lancers continued to play in the arena until 2013, when the arena was closed for good. Currently the arena’s future remains uncertain. Plans over the years have called for the demolition and incorporation into a new High School structure, conversion into a Farmer’s Market and most recently into renovation and reopening as a Basketball Arena for the local Windsor Express basketball team.